Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:03:02 +0200
From:      Alberto Rizzi <greenant@fastmail.fm>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wpi keep disconnecting

Kevin Oberman ha scritto:
>> Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 17:12:31 +0200
>> From: Alberto Rizzi <greenant@fastmail.fm>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>>
>> I have a Thinkpad T61 (UZ25FIT) dual boot with Xp and FreeBSD and has an
>> Intel 3945ABG on board.
>>
>> #uname -a
>> FreeBSD yoda.endor 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Fri Aug 8 13:51:42
>> CEST 2008 root@yoda.endor:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/YODA  i386
>>
>> I can load the wpi driver and configure the interface, then I can
>> connect to my wifi router (linksys wag54g 1v) with WPA and surf internet
>> but after a while the wpi disconnects. I think it is volume related and
>> not time related, maybe a counter overflow or something other.
>>
>> If I mount a NFS directory and start copying files from the server to
>> the notebook, after a minute the wpi disconnects.
>> In /var/log/messages I can read
>> wpi0: link state changed to DOWN
>>
>> and in wpa_cli I can read
>> <3>Michael MIC failure detected
>> <3>Michael MIC failure detected
>> <3>TKIP countermeasures started
>> <2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
>>
>> after a minute I read in /var/log/messages
>> wpi0: scan timeout
>>
>> and in wpa_cli
>> <2>WPA: TKIP countermeasures stopped
>>
>> with netstat -ibh I see I moved 12MBytes
>>
>> If I write "reassociate" in wpa_cli, after some seconds in var log
>> messages I read
>> wpi0: link state changed to UP
>>
>> and in wpa_cli
>> <2>Trying to associate .....
>> <2>Associated with .....
>> <2>WPA: Key negotiation completed .....
>> <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED .....
>>
>> If I restart the copying process I can see
>> <3>Michael MIC failure detected
>> but wpi doesn't disconnect.
>>
>> After a while wpi disconnects and I have the same messages in
>> /var/log/messages and wpa_cli
>>
>> There isn't a fixed amount of bytes I can transfer between two
>> disconnection, sometime 10MB, sometime 100MB, but the maximum was 140MB
>>
>> Please help me, I can give further info.
>> I have FreeBSD 7 on this PC since its release and I always had problems
>
> Try 'ifconfig wpi0 -bgscan'. I continue to see reports and to have
> problems with association being lost during "background" scans. This
> only seems to happen when there are multiple APs available and is very
> annoying.
>
> Please drop the list a note it turning off background scanning solves
> the problem.
Same problem, no change. Scan_results in wpa_cli reveals 2 AP.

The script used to activate wpi is this

kldload if_wpi
ifconfig wpi0 192.168.8.5/24 up
route add default 192.168.8.254
wpa_supplicant -B -i wpi0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

#cat wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={