Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 08:59:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To:        cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, eivind@yes.no, sysadmin@mfn.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MD5 v. DES?

TIS wrote one of these that isn't bad as long as you don't let the
protocol cross the network.  It was part of the firewall toolkit.
Since a number of vendors support that, it would be nice to be
compatible with it.

With a little effort, the protocol could be revised to tie the 'ok'
messages to the rest of the system, and it could be made network safe.

Adam

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
| > environment, it might be desirable to have an "authentication daemon" that
| > listens on a unix domain socket (or such).  Daemons like CMU's imapd
|
| This looks like a nice clean approach, however what if the daemon (or
| something else for that matter) is broken?  I suppose falling back to a
| primitive level of authentification, e.g. only /etc/passwd, to ensure
| that the system is not totally hosed.
|
| Any thoughts?
|

| Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
| Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766
| Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
| ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
| Government of BC

| with "unsubscribe security" in the body of the message

					               -Hume