Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:33:01 -0500
From:      "Ed Henderson" <Ed.Henderson@Certainty.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'Bob Martin'" <bob@inu.net>
Subject:   RE: Good server motherboard?

Here is some more info:

> Ed Henderson wrote:
> >=20
> > I am planning to use FreeBSD as my primary OS for an ISP=20
> that I am starting.  I am beginning my research for the best=20
> motherboard to use for a production environment.  One that is=20
> reliable and performs well (with reliable being the number=20
> one priority!)..  Here are some questions that I have:
> A decision that has been proven by ISP's all over the world!
>=20
> > 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good MB to use? =20
> Or what chipset is the best and most stable with FreeBSD?  Or=20
> a suggestion where to look?

> This is the wrong question. What processor[s] do you want to use? What
> is your budget? Is the box going to be a rack mount? If so, how many
> U's? (The second question is the most important!)
>=20

I plan to use AMD Athlon chips, tower case, IDE drives/peripherals, at =
least 256MB RAM.  Budget is limited since we are just beginning: approx. =
$1300 per server (not including tape drive which is seperate see #3 =
below).  Servers will host typical ISP apps: DNS, RADIUS, mail, Apache, =
etc.

> > 2. How about some that have built in RAID 1?
> If you just want raid1, use vinum. (Software raid). I personally don't
> like anything critical built into the board. It's much easier, and
> faster, to change a bad SCSI controller than it is to change a MB.
>=20

Good point!

> > 3. Any inexpensive (but reliable) tape drive suggestions?
> These are mutually exclusive for the most part, and also depend on how
> big you need.

OK.  I have budgeted $1500 for a tape drive.  Any suggestions?