Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:18:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Eric D. Fehr" <fehr@idirect.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS mounting /home

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Eric D. Fehr wrote,
> > I am attempting to nfs mount the /home filesystem from a Network Appliance
> > NFS server.
> >
> > Here is my problem:
> >
> > I can mount /home, and ssh into the box OK, but when I go to su to root, I
> > just get the standard "Sorry" message, like it is not able to lookup the
> > home directory for the root account.
>
> The 'Sorry' message is when you get the password wrong. Are you using
> the right root password? Logged into the client machine, su will
> require the password of root on the client and not the server.

I have verified that I am using the correct password - if I reboot
single-user, and replace /home with my pre-NFS copy of /home, everything
works fine.

> > /home/root is the home directory for
> > the root account, and is a symlink to /root.
>
> But you still might have a problem here. Which /root are you talking
> about? The one on server or client? If /home/root is a symlink to
> /root, you will get the /root directory on the _client_ when you login
> on the client machine.

That is correct.  This is the desired behaviour.

> > Is their some quirk of su
> > that does not allow home directories to be NFS mounted symlinks? (or
> > symlinks from an NFS to local file system?)
>
> "NFS mounted symlinks" is a loaded term. What exactly do you mean?
> And what does su have to do with it?

The symlink is on the nfs server, pointing off of its local file system.
/home/root -> /root, and /root is on / on the local system.

Thanks,
Eric