Date:      Fri, 08 Mar 2002 09:26:12 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need for explicit ipfw pass rule for 127.0.0.0/8 not documented?

Alan Eldridge wrote:

> Did I miss the documentation? Or did the documentation get missed

Not adequately documented, but... ;-)

$fw allow ip from any to any via lo0

Is probably what you want or, better yet,

$fw allow ip from any to any via lo0
$fw deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
$fw deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8

Luigi and others have remarked that the man page is already huge,
and perhaps not the best place for examples if it's to serve
as a reference.  Therefore, I propose that we collect some
examples of the use of various features, singly and in combination,
and put then in /usr/share/examples/ipfw.

I'd be happy to help, since I'm in the category of non-expert and
non-novice.