Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 11:31:45 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Mike Lambert" <lambert@jeol.com>, "Arthur W. Neilson III" <art@pilikia.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD sendmail libmilter

From: "Mike Lambert" <lambert@jeol.com>
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Arthur W. Neilson III wrote:
> > Recently I downloaded amavis-perl-11 and want to implement it using the
miltering
> > interface.  It's not clear to me how to build the sendmail 8.11.3 which
is integrated
> > with FreeBSD 4.3 with libmilter support.
>
> Having just recently gone through this very maze, I think I can answer
> with some accuracy.
>
> The short answer: You can't. If you want sendmail with the milter API
> enabled, you need to build sendmail from ports.

Actually, you can build sendmail with milter API from the FreeBSD Sources.
You just need to apply a patch to the build process.  I had submitted the
patch to Greg Shapiro as PR 23811, but he advised that he didn't want to
enable the Milter API since it was marked FFR (For Future Release) in 8.11.
He also advised he expects to enable the Milter API when Sendmail 8.12 is
released, and it is no longer marked FFR.

Scot