Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:04:17 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        kelvin Liu <kelvin@taipingcarpets.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: err in file system full

kelvin Liu wrote:

> Dear Alfred,
>
> I get one more error that is
>
> unix  /kernel: pid [9717] (mail.local) , uid 0 on /:file system full
>
> But I check my hard disk space that is more space. Could you tell me
> what is this mean. Thanks you very much

It probably means that whatever the mailer process was **trying** to
do filled up the root partition.  When it failed, the process would
have deleted the temporary files and, thus, you have the space back
again.  I'm guessing someone's sent a large attachment in their email
or they're trying to hack your system.

Check where users mail gets put (typically /var/mail/...) and which
partition that resides on (ie:is /var a subdirectory on / or is it a
separate partition).  The process could also be filling /tmp (if that
is not a separate partition) when trying to handle mail attachments.

No doubt someone will correct me or point you in a clearer direction.

--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD."