Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:33:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
To:        dtynan@kalopa.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem booting a Compaq Proliant 1600.

I had a similar problem with a machine with two Adaptec 2940UW
controllers.  When I upgraded from somethng like 4.7 to 4.8 the machine
stopped booting.  My workaround was to go with a single controller.

The problem seems to be that at some point in the 4.X development cycle
the way in which SCSI controllers and disks are enumerated was changed.
You might have more luck getting an answer on the freebsd-scsi mailing list.

(I'm afraid I didn't, I asked about the same question and got no answers)

I'm about to start working with a 5.3-STABLE box with an onboard
dual-channel controller and an Adaptec 39160 dual channel controller in a
PCI slot, so I'm expecting to run into this again.

(I do know that the controllers and disks are enumerated by sysctl
entries ("sysctl -a").  I am wondering if booting off a live CD would
allow you to run sysctl and find out how the physical disks and
controllers are mapped to devices.

Mike Squires