Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:12:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        john@starfire.mn.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 486-GIO-VT MB with built-in VL-IDE adapter

john@starfire.mn.org stands accused of saying:

> Does anyone have any experience with this main board?  When I bring up
> the system, it runs for awhile, and then hangs, always with the disk
> light on.  The IDE and floppy adapter is set up as a local bus device,
> and I haven't worked with VL local bus before, so I may be doing something
> which would be obviously wrong to the more experienced integrator.  I
> have tried it with internal and external cache turned off and turbo
> disabled, to no avail.

If it's an option, turn off "IDE readahead" or "IDE prefetch" in the BIOS.

I've met an SIS chipset recently that exhibited these symptoms. (It was
an ASUS PCI board, but it's worth a try 8)

> 		   John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[