Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 1997 09:50:18 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does de driver do 100MBIT Full Duplex?

At 09:12 AM 4/4/97 +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
>dennis stands accused of saying:
>>
>> What you have now is a release that was supposed to be a "great
>> saviour" feature-wise that is fundamentally unusable in its released
>> form for a large number of users.....
>
>Because, as has been observed beforehand, this "large number" of users
>were either too timid, too indifferent, or too _stupid_ to participate
>in the testing process.

Please dont blame us for our genetic problems....... :-)

>I sure as hell don't recall any observations on your part on 2.2
>during the prerelease testing on this or a number of other points
>you've subsequently griped about; I would suggest that you could
>probably have justified spending just a few hours a couple of times
>installing and testing the various fully-bundled prerelease snapshots
>and feeding back on your woes.

As much as I would have like to download and test the countless
alphas, betas and gamas, I kind of have my hands full at the moment.
Life isn't always so simple...and unlike most of you, I have to support
5 O/S, some of which have muliple "releases", and until they get
that 30 hour day thing going I'm sunk.

The point here is that  you *knew* that de wasn' t ready, and if NFS loads
really dont work then it seems incomprehensible that no-one knew about it...
unless it was simply never tested.

>If you, and a few other serious, "production" users had just
>_thought_ahead_ a little, 2.2 would have been less of a debacle than
>it has currently turned out to be.  Without that sort of input
>_before_ the final release is rolled, it's _not_ going to be possible
>to make you happy.  Ever.  And that would be Bad.

The question is, how far ahead do we think? Ever since 1.0 there's been the
promise of "finality" in the next release, but every time the next release
rolls
around there are sufficient problems to consider waiting for the next one.

The "expectation" is that things that worked before will still work with a new
release, and that there may be problems with new stuff. When there are
problems with old stuff, you have a real perception problem with your product.
There has been much talk about get publicity; getting  corporate users to
use FreeBSD, but until you get to a point where loading a new release is much
less than a crapshoot It's just not going to happen on a widespread basis.

db