Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:34:16 +091800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        kelvin Liu <kelvin@taipingcarpets.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: err in file system full

On Wednesday, 21 April 1999 at 11:39:24 +0800, kelvin Liu wrote:
> Dear Alfred,
>
> I get one more error that is
>
> unix  /kernel: pid [9717] (mail.local) , uid 0 on /:file system full
>
> But I check my hard disk space that is more space. Could you tell me
> what is this mean. Thanks you very much

Somebody has sent you an enormous mail message.  mail.local makes a
copy of it in /tmp, which is usually on the root file system, and it
causes the file system to overflow.  When it finishes, it removes the
partial copy, so when you look there is plenty of space.

This appears to be  a regression: I submitted a fix for this (make the
copy in /var/tmp) in late 1997.  Since then we have moved the
location, and it looks as if the fix got lost.  You can apply it
manually:  /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/mail.local/pathnames.h contains
only one useful line:

  #define _PATH_LOCTMP	"/tmp/local.XXXXXX"

Change this to

  #define _PATH_LOCTMP	"/var/tmp/local.XXXXXX"

Then cd to /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail and do 'make all install'.

Greg