Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:41:46 -0800
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SDT-7000 and other DDS-2 tapes

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> I've always wondered if this is something the tape driver could recover
> from.  I guess if the tape driver is recording partion, FM, and block
> count as it writes and the target drive allows block level repositioning
> that it could recover.  Do all tape drives lose their position on a
> reset?  How many support the soft reset alternative?  I guess it's time
> to do some experimentation.

Only attempt this if the tape is being read. Even then, it's
iffy. It depends really on whether, during reset conditions, you
can really believe the tape in the drive is the same one you
had. My take is that this is not something that the driver
layer should do. This is something that a higher level should
ascertain, since only it has knowledge of the information
encoding. I would strenuosly argue that it'd better to figure
out a much more robust error return mechanism (something a la

	r/w	->	EIO (error state latches)

		  -> MTIOCGETERR, releases latch returns
				error associated with EIO
		  |  -> rw, error message to console, releases latch

) and fix the utilities to deal with this (and the filesystems to
deal with similar for removable media disk like devices). Drivers
that attempt to be too smart can often lead to data destruction
and application termination. I cannot think of a surer route to
condemning the OS this happens on than going this way.

(This issue has been bandied about at Sun very hotly over the
last month or so)

-matt