Date:      Mon, 07 Jul 1997 11:38:41 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "Helio Coelho Jr." <helio@compuland.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help in two aspects

Hi,

> >> Another thing I noticed: when I issue a 'shutdown now' and a 'halt' ,
> >> sometimes I got
> >> a 'panic - shutdown not on CPU#0 - automatic reboot in 15 seconds' ... How
> >> can I avoid
> >> that ? How can I be sure that I'm on CPU#0 when halting ? ps -x ? :)
> >
> >does it really say "panic"?  it might say: "oops, I'm on cpu#1, I need to be
> >on cpu#0!", but thats perfectly normal if you really requested a reboot/halt.
> >Any 2 successive commands might run on different CPUs, there is no way
> >(currently) to guarantee which CPU runs what, but as I said, in this case
> >its not important.
>
> Yes, it say 'panic' and 'automatic reboot in 15 seconds' :(

I can't recreate it here, after the "shutdown now" messages I get:

------------------------------------- cut -------------------------------------
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

# halt

boot() called on cpu#1
oops, I'm on cpu#1, I need to be on cpu#0!
SMP: cpu#1 freezing

syncing disks... done

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot.

so I have no idea what your seeing...  If you're not seeing disk corruption
(or fsck running) when it reboots I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Can anyone else report seeing this?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by