Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:36:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Agent Drek <drek@MonsterByMistake.Com>
To:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, James A Wilde wrote:

|Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:10:49 +0100
|From: James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
|To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
|Subject: Re: Programmers' editor?
|
|Related question from a greenhorn.
|
|Most of my editing is administrative editing of configuration files and the like.  For that vi is a pita with all that programmers crap.  The only functionality I use is x for delete, i for input, Alt $ for goto eol (I don't know how you get to the beginning) and d with the down arrow to remove two lines, which means that I often have to insert a line first in order to delete the one line I need to remove.
|
|Is there for UNIX  something with the lack of complexity of the DOS edit program?  Simple marking, cutting, pasting is all I really need.
|
|Thanks for any tips.
|
|mvh/regards
|
|James Wilde

I suggest that you really try and learn vim (vi if you must..) much more
rewarding in the end. There's also xemacs' but I could never get used to
having  my editor open all the time. There are good tutorials for both.

I used to only be able to use 'jot' under IRIX ... it's much more productive to
know a good editor though.

If vi(m) really scares you then try `pico`.

use "0" to goto the beginning of a line and "I" to insert at the beginning
and "A" to append to the end of the line.

http://www.vim.org

good luck,

	=derek

Monster By Mistake Inc > 'digital plumber'
http://www.interlog.com/~drek