Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:39:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware fusion and 8-way Mac Pro and FreeBSD?

This is more of an introductory query than a bug report, so apologies
if it's shy on details.

I've been trying to use VMWare's Fusion on a dual-4-core Mac Pro w/
4GB of RAM and haven't had any luck getting it to work reliably.

Beta4, which I started with, will do an install of -STABLE from an
release or snapshot iso image, but at random points in 'make
buildworld" either the C compiler or the shared library loader seg
faults and things stop.  I tried installing -CURRENT from the most
recent snapshot, csup'ing, and doing a build world but it dies quickly
due to the symbol versioning changes.  UPDATING tells one what not to
do because it will cause just the problem, but I'm not clear how to
work past it.

With beta3 I can do an install of -STABLE from the ISO image, but the
virtual machine hangs whilst cs'uping.  If you restart things enough
time, you can get through it but then it to hang during builds.

I've tried running with one or two virtual cpu's enabled, without any
difference.

I couldn't find any relevant comments on the Vmware Fusion discussion
forum.

Is it working for anyone?

g.