Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 13:50:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vector: 0x670

yes it has the standard heatsink but looking at it, it so really too
hot...
there is also the patch foil but it looks a little bit messed the surface
looks like not the same in all its part the colour changed, maybe the foil
does not work anymore very fine... so that I have been thinking to add
some of that special "glue" which is used on the Pee See between the Pee
Sea CPU and the dissipator.
My alpha dissipator looks realy vey very hot... and testing the system
without the CPU dissipator it crashes with the same error in 2 minutes...
there are 2 possibilites now, the cache is fucked or it is the CPU
overheating problem. Someone told me it is really not likely a CPU
internal problem like a TLB problem. Someone told me if the CPU is fucked
because of overheating permanent damage it will not even start.
IF it is the overheating problem I think I will solve it with a bigger
dissipator the one from a Pentium 4 carefully adapted to the alpha CPU and
adding a new fan also over the dissipator. I have no way right now to know
if it is a CPU problem or cache problem or do I have one way to discover
it ?? If it is the cache I have no chances, I have to throw away my
motherboard I guess. The cache modules are hard wired on the motherboard
I wanted to try something else anyway to see if the problem is a problem
due overheating. if I put some very vold water in a proper glass box and
put the box over the CPU it will help a lot to cool the system, and I Can
try to stress the system in that way... I dunno... Iam desperate at this
point!

thanks

Rick