Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 21:57:49 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: politeness

At 07:20 PM 10/3/2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

>Brett, I think you're missing the point.  Like many people,
>Poul-Henning and I tend to delete your messages unread.

That's a shame, though it is of course your choice.

[Snip]

>The real reason we tend to
>ignore your mail is that we have only ever heard one opinion from you,
>and the repetitions are getting boring.

Greg, I don't think you are being fair or reasonable here.

If you have formed the opinion that I have only "one opinion," it must
be because you have very incomplete information. Perhaps the paragraph
at the top of this message explains why you labor under this misconception.
If you are deleting most of what I write without reading it, how could you
possibly know what opinions I might have expressed?

[Snip]

>I've accused Poul-Henning of being heavy-handed in the past.  I can't
>see him doing so here.

He and DES are both extremely heavy-handed -- unreasonably so, especially
since I'm doing many things which they in fact would advocate.

[Snip]

>To be fair, I haven't seen many retractions on your part.

How can you tell? Again, you say yourself that you have been deleting
most of my messages unread!

>I'm not going to be drawn into yet another fruitless discussion on the
>part you play in the FreeBSD project.  I do get the impression that a
>number of people equate you to a kind of bogey man, and whether this
>is justified or not, it would be wrong to ignore the problem.

If people equate someone who is active, enthusiastic, and interested
in promoting BSD to "a kind of bogey man," what can I say? They're
wrong. A daemon, maybe, but certainly not a bogeyman.

--Brett