Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2019 15:04:51 +0100
From:      canardo909 <canardo909@gmx.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building powerpc (32-bit) packages on amd64

I tried to cross-compile as indicated.
On a linux machine with 16GB ram (ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Qemu 2.11.1), I
run FreeBSD ppc64 12.1 in Qemu

Command line
sudo qemu-system-ppc64 -M pseries-2.12-sxxm -smp 2 -mem-path
/dev/hugepages -drive file=3Dqfreebsdppc64.qcow -m 12G
does not work, and I get the following errors (and Qemu does not start)

qemu-system-ppc64: unable to map backing store for guest RAM: Cannot
allocate memory
qemu-system-ppc64: Requested safe bounds check capability level not
supported by tcg, try a different value for cap-sbbc

After searching on the web, I found the following arguments to add
-machine cap-sbbc=3Dbroken,cap-ibs=3Dbroken

The full command line I'm using is then
sudo qemu-system-ppc64 -M pseries-2.12-sxxm -smp 2 -mem-path
/dev/hugepages -drive file=3Dqfreebsdppc64.qcow -m 12G -machine
cap-sbbc=3Dbroken,cap-ibs=3Dbroken

I still get the error
qemu-system-ppc64: unable to map backing store for guest RAM: Cannot
allocate memory
but FreeBSD ppc64 runs.

problem is : it is REALLY slow, like 10 times slower than my Powerbook G4

So I tried the following start command (without hugepage, and only 2GB ram=
)
sudo qemu-system-ppc64 -M pseries-2.12-sxxm -smp 2 -drive
file=3Dqfreebsdppc64.qcow -m 2G -machine cap-sbbc=3Dbroken,cap-ibs=3Dbroke=

It runs, but also REALLY slow.

Is there something I'm missing in my settings ?
Should I use a more recent version of Qemu ?