Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 08:53:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rich Fox <rich@f2sys.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   socks5 problems (auth)

Hi,

I have sent this through the freebsd-questions channel, and received
helpful, but not definitive, information. I have socks5 running (v1.0r9)
on a freeBSD 3.1 box. The problem I am having is that I have never been
able to configure it to accept a connection without requiring
authorization from the client, (alas, I have never been able to configure
it to accept a connection and actually act as a proxy--authroization or
not!).
I understand the risk of leaving the proxy wide open, but I can't get
anything to work anyways. In any case here is my *.conf file...

# Authentication entries
auth - - -

# Access entries
permit - - 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 - -

# route entries
route 192.168.1. - 192.168.1.1
route - - 123.456.789.123

This is a multi-homed host (IP aliasing), I simply want to allow a
connection from 192.168.1.n to a server on the other side. The other
side's interface is at 123.456.789.123 and obviously 192.168.1.n's
interface is at 192.168.1.1. The system is running ip aliasing and IPFW,
however, IPFW has been wide open for these tests.

Following is a copy of the perpetual errors that I receive with this...
ppp-rich# socks5 -d 3 -s
ppp-rich# 44235: Socks5 starting at Tue May 25 08:26:54 1999 in normal
mode
44399: TCP Connection Request: Connect (192.168.1.2:2057 to
160.43.252.59:554) f
or user
44399: TCP Setup: Authorization failed
44399: TCP Connection Terminated: Abnormal (192.168.1.2:2057 to
160.43.252.59:55
4) for user : 0 bytes out, 0 bytes in
44576: TCP Connection Request: Connect (192.168.1.2:2059 to
160.43.252.59:554) f
or user
44576: TCP Setup: Authorization failed
44576: TCP Connection Terminated: Abnormal (192.168.1.2:2059 to
160.43.252.59:55
4) for user : 0 bytes out, 0 bytes in

The client app, Quicktime Player (For qt pro) provides no means for
authorization, but that shouldn't matter since I am trying to tell socks5
to forget authentication and just do *something*! In this case, I am
talking about the client as a Mac, on the other hand, I get roughly
similar results from Socksified Win32 (The socksifier log however,
contains some interesting info, particularly that it requests the
connection, auth is accepted then sends a proxy command and the auth is
suddenly rejected.)

(On a side note, Quicktime Streaming Media is using RTP-RTSP. If
so, then why does streaming media from RealNetworks, which also uses RTSP,
work just fine through NAT, whereas, Quicktime doesn't?)

Clues would be most helpful...

Thanks,
Rich.