Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:07:26 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrew Kosyakov <caseq@magrathea.chance.ru>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boca board 8 ports

  Hi!

Quoting owner-questions-digest@freefall.freebsd.org:

> I have recently installed a new 8 port bocaboard.  I read the sio man
> page, the handbook and the FAQ, and set everything up accordingly.  And
> it appears to work when the machine boots; the kernel probes each port
> and it comes back with:
[skipped]
> When I the machine starts the getty's, no errors are returned, but the
> modem's 'tr' lights do not come on.  When I run cu -l /dev/cuaa4, it
> comes back with "connected", but I can't type anything to the modem, and
> again the 'tr' light does not come on.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks.
If you're about BB1008, the problem, I believe, is in the board design
itself -- its connectors are RJ12, which only allow for 6 pins used
for TX, RX, CTS, RTS and two grounds. Neither DTR nor DCD just didn't fit,
as you see. You may, perhaps, configure your modems to ignore DTR state and
use 'stty clocal' to ask system to ignore DCD, but I'm afraid that this may
lead you to some other problems. The better solution, I believe, would be to
use another board.

--
Sincerely yours
							/&rew

***
Andrew V. Kosyakov, Chance Publishing House, System Administrator
caseq@chance.ru, 2:5030/31@Fidonet.Org, +7(812)210-8046
PGP key fingerprint: BA A8 48 20 E4 AE 9C 52  C5 5F C3 B8 1E 67 2C BF