Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 23:56:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ``make depend'' fails on latest wine(1) source

In article <19990925195136.A394@marder-1> you write:
>I'm attempting to build wine(1) from the latest (990923) sources.
>I've sorted the patches but ``make depend'' throws up this error:
>
>marder-1# make depend
>cd ../tools; make 'CC=cc' 'CFLAGS=-O -pipe -Wall' 'OPTIONS=-D_REENTRANT' makedep
>make: don't know how to make makedep.o. Stop
>*** Error code 2
>
>Stop.
>
>Examining the output of ``make -dA depend'' shows this to be the
>problem:
>

>SuffFindDeps (makedep)
>        No known suffix on makedep. Using .NULL suffix
>not adding suffix rules

There's the problem:  for some reason they added a line

	.SUFFIXES:

to their Makefiles (actually Make.rules.in, from where it ends up
getting copied into every Makefile).  Now you can either add

	USE_GMAKE=     yes

in the port Makefile, as thats the make they (linux) appear to be
using (which seems to interpret this empty .SUFFIXES: as `reset to
default suffixes' not `forget about all suffixes' as ours does)
or you can simply disable the line.  Or you can just apply the port
update i submitted today and build from that, it includes a bunch
of other fixes you'd also like to have.

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>