Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:55:18 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFT][patch] Scheduling for HTT and not only

On 02/06/12 19:37, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Monday 06 February 2012 17:29:14 Alexander Motin wrote:

>>> i don't have any benchmarks to offer, but i'm seeing a massive increase in
>>> responsiveness with your patch. with an unpatched kernel, opening xterm while
>>> unrar'ing some huge archive could take up to 3 minutes!!! with your patch the
>>> time it takes for xterm to start is never>   10 seconds!!!
>>
>> Thank you for the report. I can suggest explanation for this. Original
>> code does only one pass looking for CPU where the thread can run
>> immediately. That pass limited to the first level of CPU topology (for
>> HTT systems it is one physical core). If it sees no good candidate, it
>> just looks for the CPU with minimal load, ignoring thread priority. I
>> suppose that may lead to priority violation, scheduling thread to CPU
>> where higher-priority thread is running, where it may wait for a very
>> long time, while there is some other CPU with minimal priority thread.
>> My patch does more searches, that allows to handle priorities better.
>
> But why would unrar have a higher priority?

I am not good with ULE priority calculations yet, but I think there
could be many factors. Both GUI and unrar probably running with the same
nice level of 0, so initially they are equal. After they started, their
priorities depend on spent CPU time, calculated "interactivity" and who
knows what else. So possibly at some moments unrar may get priority
higher then GUI. Also there can participate several kernel threads, that
have higher priority by definition.

--
Alexander Motin