Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 23:10:52 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.1.6 status quo?

> Has anyone done a quick analysis on whats different between jdk1.1.5
> and jdk1.1.6?

It's *very* different (from a user/developer's perspective).
Unfortunately, it's all weirded out using fvwm if I display applications
from the SUN, but lots of Swing bugs we're fixed.

I'd call it a step in the right direction, but not a big one.  JDK1.1.7
is on tap still, which I believe is a good thing. :(

The new release causes all windows to be placed in the upper left corner
on the screen with fvwm, and also causes all Frames to be displayed as a
*really* small decorated window no matter if they are visible or not,
which looks bad.

Note, these are all observed under Windows and Solaris, since I haven't
even looked at updating the FreeBSD version.

I suspect we can fix the WM bug, but the small decorated Frames may be
due to a 'bugfix' that we don't necessarily want to fix.

In short, I'm not as pleased with this release as I would like.  We're
avoiding it for our software until we get more time with it, which is
the first time we haven't whole-heartedly agreed that the # of bugs
fixed is greater than the number of bugs introduced.

Nate