Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 12:09:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Lars Fredriksen" <fredriks@mcs.com>
To:        wilker@hopf.math.purdue.edu
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   NEC Cd changer

Hi,
	Have you seen any problems with the scsi request to
the NEC 7 cd changer timeout?

I get messages like this sometimes:

	cd(0) request timed out
	received unexpected ANS(0x22)
	bus reset

	The above messages are parafrased...

The controller is a 1742. The chain looks like this:

External:					Internal:

TERM -> HP-DAT -> NEC changer -> Controller -> HD1 -> HD0 -> TERM

If I replace the NEC changer with a Toshiba 3401, there is no problem.
Unfortunately when I do that I have to change the cable between the
cd and the controller, so just because the Toshiba CD-ROM work doesn't
mean that there is a problem with the NEC. It could be a cable problem,
but that would not say much about the quality of the cable since the one
used with the NEC is brand new.

I did try removing the HP-DAT and using the internal terminator on the NEC,
but that didn't change anything, so it doesn't appear to be a terminator
problem.

I had to take out HD1 (Toshiba 538), because it and the NEC did not get along
at ALL. The BIOS would report that the HD1  had an internal error, or if it
did manage to probe it right, you could not read sector 0 from it. So either
the NEC doesn't adhere to the SCSI standard really well, or I have a bad
cable between the NEC and the controller.

Anyone seen anything like this? I hate to have to go out and spend another
$50 on a SCSI-2 to SCSI-2(connector wise) cable, but that might be what
I have to do.

Lars

Lars
Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)