Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:20:05 -0700
From:      "Boatwright, Charles" <Charles_Boatwright@cisnc.canon.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PARTITION, SCARY STUFF???

Matt,

Are you familar with the physical partition table structure?  Having a
good tech ref is helpful.  If not, here is something to start with.

If you have 5 drives (1 primary, and 4 in an extended) you might have
problems.

First you need space.  Unfortunately, the only way to get some free
space is to remove one of the logical drives.
Easy, right?  Yes.
Success? No.

You must change the size of the extended partition, which contains the
logical drives.  My experience is that this can be done only by deleting
the extended partition, and recreating it.  BUT this will delete ALL of
your logical drives.  I don't know a good way around this, other than
doing a full backup of the DOS drives.

NOTE -- I never had any luck with FIPS on extended partitions.

ALSO VERY VERY VERY important.  Keep a DOS BOOT disk handy.  You should
have a diskedit program too.  Norton DE works well.  If no disk edit,
use a boot sector backup program. Norton Rescue or equivalent (I am not
associated with Symantec, however, my $0.02 is that these tools work.)
Sometimes the FreeBSD install turns OFF the startable bit in the
partition entry list.  For More Info consult the MS DOS 6.0 reference.
M$ publication.

Good luck

-c