Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 18:48:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        kallio@beeblebrox.pccc.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org, kallio@beeblebrox.pccc.jyu.fi
Subject:   Re: HP C1553A Autoloading DDS-2 DAT tape drive control?

> Hi, we have HP C1553A Autoloading DDS2 DAT tape drives attached to
> a FreeBSD node. Is there a program available  that would allow me to
> fully manipulate the drive?
>
> I have code for HPUX and Solaris, but it is so OS dependend I cannot
> compile it in FreeBSD.

You can use scsi(8) to send commands to the device.  Something like
this (I didn't run this - this is a dramatization based on that C
code) saved as dds_changer and made executable.  As a raw-device-name
you must use something that accepts the SCSI ioctl calls - the
control device for whatever it comes on line as will.

#!/bin/sh
PATH="/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin"; export PATH

usage()
{
	echo "Usage: dds_changer [123456ne] raw-device-name
	echo "1..6 = Select cartridge"
	echo "next cartridge"
	echo "eject magazine"
	exit 2
}

if [ $# -ne 2 ] ; then
    usage
fi

cdb3=0
cdb4=0
cdb5=0

case $1 in
     [123456])
       cdb3=$1
       cdb4=1
       ;;
     n)
       ;;
     e)
       cdb5=0x80
       ;;
     ?)
       usage
       ;;
esac

scsi -f $2 -s 100 -c "1b 0 0 v v v" $cdb3 $cdb4 $cdb5