Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:28:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Parvu <stefan.parvu@comptel.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2questions

> thanks for your answers. With some comments:
>
> 1. I've asked at XIG what it is about and they told me that this a problem
> of FreeBSD OS. Not about their server.

Xig have not been providing accurate answers to many questions asked of
them about FreeBSD recently.  It would appear that they have again been
misleading here.  Can you tell me exactly who you spoke to at Xig?

The history of this issue is that back around the FreeBSD 3.0 release, it
was suggested to Xig that they might want to stick with an a.out rather
than ELF-format server while we and our customer base transitioned to
ELF.  They've stuck with the a.out format ever since, and I suspect that
cognitive dissonance has set in - the person you spoke to probably has no
idea why they don't test on 3.x.

> Anyway I have asked also why they
> didn't test Accel 5.0.2 on FreeBSD 3.x ? With no success.No comments.
> I have also asked about 3D X server why they did not provide a version for
> FreeBSD and chambers@xig.com told me that there is no plan port for this
> yet :(

There are a couple of issues with the 3D server, one of them is the lack
of suitable AGP control interfaces.  (This is tentatively on my todo
list)

> 2. Well indeed, it is using that much memory but I have 80 MBRAM on my box and
> starting X, and a terminal (xterm) I have reported by top: Free 55M. So am
> I wrong with something how can a process to be in SIZE 54 and free mem to
> have 55M.

Explaining this is probably beyond the scope of anything I can write this
evening, and I suspect that the explanation wouldn't do you a lot of
good.  I hope you'll be satisified with two points:

 - the size of the X server includes the size of video RAM mapped from
   the card.

 - numbers lie.  Be happy that it works. 8)