Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:39:11 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd bios.

In message <394AABC7.AD978219@newsguy.com> "Daniel C. Sobral" writes:
: If your BIOS project recognizes the flash card as a disk, accessible
: with normal BIOS functions, then loader can work as is (minus whatever
: you need modified). If not, it can be changed to understand whatever you
: have to access the data in the flash card.

I can verify that one can boot of a CompactFlash in a IDE adapter, off
DOC2K and off IDE flash drivers.  I would suppose that anything that
looks remotely like an IDE disk will work, as will anything that does
what DOC2k does and install its own BIOS functions (roughly speaking)
will work as well.

My main test gig at work has been diskless for a long time.  I boot of
a 64MB CF card.  For a while I was booting off a 8M DOC2k chip, but I
broke it by writing to it too many times (it was a bad one from a
while back when they had some QC issues).

No changes to the boot loader were necessary, other than building
serial blocks.  On my Teknor SBC, I can even put a jumper in place to
get a serial BIOS...  Too bad other vendors don't offer this
functionality :-(.

Warner