Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:04:58 -0500
From:      Jay Borkenhagen <jayb@braeburn.org>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Sergey Kandaurov <pluknet@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: cannot set mtu > 1500 on em0 optical Gig-E

Jack Vogel writes:
 > Thanks Sergey :)
 >=20
[...]
 > > Hmm.. Did jumbo frames really work on these cards for you=3F Intel=

 > > claims: "Adapters based on the Intel=AE 82542 and 82573V/E
 > > controller do not support Jumbo Frames. These correspond to the
 > > following product names:
 > >
 > >    * Intel=AE PRO/1000 Gigabit Server Adapter
 > >    * Intel=AE PRO/1000 PM Network Connection "
 > >
 > > As seen from code, the behavior was changed to match the
 > > description ("keep old 82542 from using jumbo frames") and merged
 > > to 6-STABLE before 6.3.

Well, I've got tcpdumps showing DF-bit-set pings succeeding to and
from such a NIC with MTU >> 1500, on a box running 6.2-RELEASE.
(pciconf data below.)  In this particular case I have MTU=3D4470, which=

is really good enough for what I need, and DF pings succeed up to
'ping -s 4442'

Maybe Intel thought they couldn't handle MTUs approaching 9k, or maybe
they had problems approaching linerate -- neither of which are
concerns in my application...

em0@pci0:2:0:   class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x10008086 chip=3D0x10008086 re=
v=3D0x03 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor   =3D 'Intel Corporation'
    device   =3D '82542 Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class    =3D network
    subclass =3D ethernet