Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:26:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        bt@ccgis.de
Cc:        freebsd-openoffice@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install error OOo-1.1.3 on 4.10p3

On 21 Oct, Benjamin Thelen wrote:
> Hi Don,
> I cut this posting, as it got a little complex.
>

>> On 21 Oct, Benjamin Thelen wrote:
> snip
>>
>> Some parts of the OpenOffice build want to access an X11 server.  If you
> are running the build in a terminal window under X11, $DISPLAY should be
> automatically set.  If $DISPLAY isn't set, the Makefile for the port
> will start Xvfb, which is an X11 server for a virtual frame buffer.  In
> my case, $DISPLAY is set because I'm doing the build in an xterm window.
>>

> I understand this. I'm building OOo in a xterm under X11 at the moment.
> I'm used to do the most without X, because up to now I'm running FreeBSD
> just on server machines.
>
> Getting OOo to run is part of my project "FreeBSD for desktop (and
> notebook)" :-)! I also want to change at home, but therfore I really need
> OOo.

> snip
>

>>> dmake has been successfully built
>>
>> Your build appears to be terminating way too early.  I see the matching
> output about 21% of the way through my successful portupgrade run.
>

> Wow, that is interesting! No surprise that installing OOo fails. But why
> does building terminate so early? There is no error message. I could maybe
> pipe the building output into a file and check...

I'm not able to reproduce the problem you're seeing by unsetting
$DISPLAY.  Can you try removing the leading @'s in this section of the
Makefile so that we can see where things are dying?

.if !defined(DISPLAY)
        #
        # This is a UGLY hack to not have to specify a X-Display.
        #
        ${X11BASE}/bin/Xvfb :1001 -screen 0 800x600x24 > /dev/null 2>&1 & ${ECHO
} $$! > ${WRKDIR}/.Xvfb.pid
        @sleep 5
.endif
        @cd ${WRKSRC} ; PATH="${PATH}:${LOCALBASE}/bin:${LOCALBASE}/sbin" ./boot
strap
.if defined(L10NHELP) || defined(ALL_LOCALIZED_LANGS)
        @${MKDIR} ${WRKSRC}/solver/${BUILD_NR}/unxfbsd.pro/pck
        @${CP} ${WRKDIR}/L10NHELP/*.zip ${WRKSRC}/solver/${BUILD_NR}/unxfbsd.pro
/pck
.endif
.if !defined(DISPLAY)
        @cd ${WRKSRC} ; DISPLAY=${DISPLAYHACK} PATH="${PATH}:${LOCALBASE}/bin:${
LOCALBASE}/sbin" ; \
                ${TCSH} -c 'source FreeBSDEnv.Set ; unsetenv TOP ; ${BUILD}'
        @-${CAT} ${WRKDIR}/.Xvfb.pid | ${XARGS} kill
        @${RM} -f ${WRKDIR}/.Xvfb.pid
.else
        @cd ${WRKSRC} ; DISPLAY=${DISPLAY} PATH="${PATH}:${LOCALBASE}/bin:${LOCA
LBASE}/sbin" ; \
                ${TCSH} -c 'source FreeBSDEnv.Set ; unsetenv TOP ; ${BUILD}'
.endif

After editing the Makefile, run "make" in the port directory and capture
the stdout and stderr to a file.

Base on what you've posted, it looks like ./bootstrap is getting run,
but ${BUILD} is not.