Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2022 12:32:09 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        paul macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port binary updates

On 07/06/2022 11:59, paul macdonald wrote:

> How often are these built?
>
> we have our boxes configured to connect to latest ABI, but often
> portmaster will report an update when there's no binary update available.

Rebuilding all ports can take several days. IIRC the latest branch
starts rebuilding on Saturday and is usually finished by Tuesday, so
there's a period when there's a discrepancy between the source and
binary packages.

> This is fine for nearly everything, but i groan everytime llvm/rust
> comes up.

Ditto, especially as the ports I use sometimes seem to want two
different versions of llvm (plus a gcc or two).

> I did have a poudriere setup working for a while, but whilst that was
> useful for non standard compile options, i'm sure no ones really running
> anything but std llvm.

In theory it's supposed to be possible to use poudriere hooks to fetch
prebuilt packages from the FreeBSD repositories, but I've never found it
how. If anyone has ideas/incantations on this they'd be very welcome.

> As an aside we try to keep everything up to date daily, which obv comes
> with its own issues, time not withstanding, how often are list members
> updating?

Once a week usually, but asap if a critical bug that affects my systems
turns up.

--
All network cabling aspires to the condition of macramé.