Date:      21 Jan 2003 10:16:03 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memory limit problem again.

"ilovefd" <ilovefd@abelia.ocn.ne.jp> writes:

> I am a user of FreeBSD-4.7.
> I baught a Mother board(P4QH6) with Xeon MP from Supermicro.
>
> Supermicro says about P4QH6
>
> Yes the MP Xeons and this motherboard can fully access 32GB of main
> memory.  The processor is a 32 bit instruction code processor, but is a
> 64 bit device which easily accesses 32GB of main memory.

This doesn't parse quite right, but it definitely seems incorrect in
any case.  The Xeon is a 32-bit device, period.  It has 4GB of
address space, period.  What this system can do is window into the
memory in some fairly sophisticated ways, but it's still only a 4GB
address space.

> How should I do to let FreeBSD-4.7/5.0 access to 32GB mem?

So far as I know, nobody is working on supporting this
functionality, because it's a fairly slow way of getting access to
extra memory.

> IA64 is available for it?

No.  IA64 is strictly for Itanium, at least for the moment.  Xeons
are *not* IA64.

> Or Shoul I chose any other operationg system?

Windows is the only system that will use it at all well, but I seem
to recall that Linux had some work on support for it.  For nearly
any general-computing application, though, you'll get better
performance at a given price by using systems that can address all
of their own memory directly.