Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:16:28 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        Peter McGarvey <Networks.Manager@rncm.ac.uk>, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, k4n@hotmail.com, roelof@nisser.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD webdesign

Gary Kline wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 04:04:05PM +0100, Peter McGarvey wrote:
> > Web styles/colour schemes are something I feel strongly about.
> >
> > I'm dyslexic.  A bad colour scheme make my life hell.
> >
> > Personally I find Black on White difficult to read.  When I'm trying
> > to read along a line my eyes sort of "fall off".  To get around this I
> > have to peer at the sceen intently and usually end up getting a headache.
> >
> > Black on Light Grey is much nicer.
> >
> > Blue on Black is 100% impossible to read.
> >
> > Bigger bolder fonts help.
> >
> > However, instead of arguing the toss about personal preferance in colour,
> > why not investigate a method of allowing users to overide colours and font
> > styles.  Much more user friendly.
> >

>         Hm, very interesting.  This (black on light grey) may be
>         why so many commercial apps use this scheme.
>
>         I prefer off-white for the bg and black (bold) fonts, but
>         this may not work for everyone, obviously.  Do you know
>         how light the grey can be before you find it hard to read?
>
>         I've played around with black on grey85 and it's fairly
>         reasonable.  I've also experiments with bright
>         green|orange|blue typefaces on black... uhh, no.

I have a tendancy to like bright white on dark blue but it depends on
the font. When the font is terrible, I go for black on white. I can
read it down to about 4 point type on a 19" monitor. Combinations of
dark red or green on black kills me. The fact that these phosphour's
are every third one, probably has something to do with it, i.e., a
real lack of definition. I can read it if I jump the monitor back to
640 x 480 from 1152 x 854 or 1600 x 1280 but then I am running
*Window* because I can only have one window on the screen at a time.

>         Has anybody on the list found any websites with presentation
>         information?

The only one I know of is
http://webknowhow.net/dir/Design/Miscellaneous/. There site has much
more. It is mostly links to somewhere else. Helen Triantafillou has a
site at http://users.hol.gr/~andreas/hexcolor.htm that lists many
combinations of colors and their hex values.

Kent

>         gary

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html