Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 1996 23:34:33 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Any clues as to why this fails?

> The test program has many bugs.
> - <sys/types.h> isn't included.

OK, OK, so it was just a knocked-together test.. :-)

> - printf() gives undefined behaviour in signal handlers.

I know that.  I just wanted to see if the handler was being called at
all, and in this case I'm pretty sure that printf() will perform as
advertised since I'm not doing any other I/O.  This was just a short
test program to illustrate an error, Bruce, not my submission for this
year's ACM Turing awards.. :-)

In any case, to dispense with the nitpicking and get to the real meat
of the issue:

> except ttys, sockets or perhaps pipes.  To work as documented in fcntl.3,
> F_SETOWN would need to have a pgrp entry in the filedesc struct.  This
> would probably be useful - it would allow sending SIGIO to arbitrary
> sets of sufficiently privileged processes.

Sounds fine to me - did I hear an implicit hand being raised here, or
should one of the rest of us go about doing this?  :-)

What Thomas wants is not unreasonable here - polling the mouse with
SIGIO might not be elegant, but I can certainly understand the desire
to have it work.  I can predict that his next question after reading
the above will be "Uh, OK.  So.... Can I rely on this working anytime
soon?" and it'd be nice to have some semblance of an answer in
advance.

						Jordan