Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:39:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Brad Benson <brad@cyberix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nick Faso <fason@aasis.albany-academy.org>
Subject:   RE: networking windows and freebsd

> There are free proxy server apps for windows that my let you do it, but
> I haven't a clue as to how to set up the FreeBSD side. it depends on the
> Proxy server. I do know however that it's 100 times easy to go the other
> way. Let FreeBSD handle the internet connection, and do your browseing
> in windows. FreeBSD does a much better job handleing the connection, and
> takes some load off the windows machine. You get better performance, less
> lost connaections , and maybe even less Windows lockups. If that's possible.

	Check out www.winfiles.com or www.tucows.com for such a beast.
BUT, having run both sides of the equation, setting up FreeBSD as the
dial up server instead of Windows is much better in the long run.
Granted, for me it was a bit hard at first diving directly into FreeBSD
as I was, but since then my Windows machines have amazingly not crashed
at all! Performace is easily twice as good, and I've yet to get a dropped
carrier.

				Rick