Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:08:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ian Pallfreeman <ip@albatross.mcc.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck dies with sigfpe on a P-II

I have a new (but cheap) 266MHz P-II with 128Mb of memory and 3*2940s. Two of
the 2940s have 4*4Gb external disks attached, with some old Sun disks and an
Exabyte on the first 2940. I've had loads of problems with the 2*4*4Gb disks,
which I've eventually (I think) traced to our purchasing people saving a
couple of pounds on the SCSI cables -- new cables, no problem, so far...

To make sure I've ironed out the problems with the external disks, cabling,
etc, I've been running "newfs;sync;fsck;sync" on each disk, concurrently.
Every so often, I get:

	pid 519 (fsck), uid 0: exited on signal 8 (core dumped)

I've looked at the core dump stack trace, but it doesn't make sense to me,
particularly as it's an intermittent problem, about once per hour. I've built
a kernel with the npx flags set to 0x7 (grasping at straws), but it's still
happening.

This is a 2.2-STABLE system, about a week old.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

TIA,

Ian.
--
 Network Unit, SNOT Team, Manchester Computing, The University, Manchester, UK.
     mail: ip@mcc.ac.uk | phone: +44-161-275-6006 | fax: +44-161-275-6040