Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:07:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-SA-04:13.linux in the wild

Has anyone else seen this in the wild?

We just had an attempted attack yesterday from a live attacker on one of
our machines using this vulnerability. It wasn't all that clever, and
they're long gone, but I *did* manage to catch them in the act and grab
a copy of the binary they tried to run from /tmp/, as well as the PHP
injection code they used to subvert a virtual web site's poorly-written
index.php script to execute commands as a local user.

Their first order of business was uname -a, and the timing of the
requests appeared to be random and experimental ("cd /tmp; ls -la", a
few times). If any @FreeBSD.org developers would like more information,
I'd be happy to share my findings and log output off-list.

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon