Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:18:15 +0200
From:      "Jose M Rodriguez" <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        "Mike Makonnen" <mtm@identd.net>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rcNG problems on RELENG_5

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:07:53 +0300, Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:14:10AM +0200, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:14:16 +0300, Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> There is a last process in the rc boot: init that launch gettys via
>> /etc/ttys.
>> xdm really needs gettys running when it comes up, this is a race
>> condiction
>> between xdm an init.
>
> The first step is to understand
> why xdm depends on init starting the gettys. For example I use gdm and
> it's
> started from a startup script. My /etc/ttys has ttyv8, the tty on which
> gdm
> starts, turned off. So, how does init starting the gettys on the other
> terminals
> affect X? It seems to me that the problem really isn't
> with init's starting of gettys but some other side-effect of that.
>
> In short, we should understand EXACTLY what the problem is before going
> off and trying to solve it.
>
> Cheers.

First, I resolve it now renaming xdm 0xdm.  Now, I can won the race.

The problem can also be present in your setup.  Is related to XServer
using a dynamic tty alloc on FreeBSD by default.

If xdm/kdm/gdm Xserver is up before the gettys, it gets /dev/ttyv1, not
/dev/ttyv8.  I'm looking now how to make Xserver tty alloc static, but my
free time is limited.

In any way, I think that the developpment of rcNG must take this on
account. It's no other method that lex order to put a script at the end of
rcorder.

--
   josemi