Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:25:32 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Allan Fields <bsd@afields.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM and NetBSD compatibility question

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 14:40, Allan Fields wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 12:23:39AM +0200, Barry Bouwsma wrote:
[...]
> > It's a property of the NetBSD disklabel that the `d' partition
> > covers the whole disk.  Additionally, I use the additional
>
> right

Well, mostly right.  I believe most NetBSD ports treat the "c" partition
as covering the whole disk and only the i386 (and related?) port applies
this semantic to the "d" partition instead (due to historical
precedent?).

I know this is definitely the case for NetBSD/alpha.  There, "c" covers
the whole disk and is the one intended for "whole drive" access.  The
same goes for NetBSD/pmax.  (Those are the ones with which I've had
direct experience.)

Cheers,

Paul.
--