Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:20:59 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can't save Vinum config: No such file or directory

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:44:55AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey
<grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > My problem is that I want to use 5.x and be sure my /usr filesystem
> > will be recoverable in the current miserable days of disks which
> > fail in rows. Is ccd(4) mirroring stable?
> > when I last dealt with it.
>
> I don't know, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary.  But then,
> Vinum mirroring is also stable.  Note that the message to which you
> reply is based on a misunderstanding.  The issue here seems to be
> finger trouble at startup, and that can happen with ccd as well.

Yes. Perhaps vinum is stable, but kernels past 5.2-RELEASE did
sometimes panic in vinum at bootup (for me). 5.2-RELEASE kernel
simply didn't boot with mirrored /usr filesystem. I will try the
upcoming 5.2.x if ready, but until then I'm still with Dec 21 kernel
which works reliably. I am not pointing to vinum at all, there has
been lots of other changes.
But as I need _reliable_ mirrored /usr, vinum seems to be out of
game again.
--
Vallo Kallaste