Date:      Mon, 7 May 2012 02:31:25 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Subject:   Re: help debug bwn(4) wireless

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 413, Issue 11, Message: 21
On Sat, 5 May 2012 19:26:00 -0400 (EDT) Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org> wrote:
 > On Sat, 5 May 2012, Robert Bonomi wrote:
 >
 > > Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk> wrote;
 >
 > [snip]
 >
 > >> ...I still find the whole networking area perfectly impenetrable. (If
 > >> you can recommend a really introductory book on the subject, I'd
 > >> really appreciate it.
 >
 > [snip]
 >
 > > See also "TCP/IP Network Administration".  This is an "O'Reilley
 > > Associates" book.  Virtually *everything* they publish is excellent.
 > > If they've ever published an even mediocre book, _I_ have never
 > > encountered it.
 >
 > Anton, I'll second that recommendation. 'TCP/IP Network Administration'
 > by Craig Hunt is an outstanding book; it taught me a lot about
 > networking, really made the subject comprehensible. The other O'Reilly
 > book that I found indispensable when getting started was 'Essential
 > System Administration' by Aeleen Frisch. In fact, why don't I just "me
 > too" about O'Reilly. Everything of theirs that I have seen has been
 > excellent.

I'll third it Chris.  Apart from Tanenbaum's seminal 'Computer Networks'
(qv) a decade earlier, I learned most of what I needed to setup mail,
DNS, other servers and TCP/IP networking in general from Hunt's book.

I also borrowed Frish's excellent book (for about five years :) and
found it invaluable for all sorts of sysadmin tasks, including good
shell scripting techniques, covering a wide range of unixish OSes.

Anton, I'm not sure what the state of the art is for multiple network
profiles for such as wireless vs wired, home and work etc, but look
around.  I recall one called just 'profile' from years ago, and more
recently talk of 'failover' setups for wired/wireless nets (probably in
net@freebsd.org), but I've no time for hunting tonight.  Anyone?

cheers, Ian