Date:      Sun, 04 Nov 2012 19:12:30 -0800
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org, x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPC DRM graphics testing

So I've been plagued by issues on my rv250...the gpu is locking up at
times and resulting in a backtrace that seems to indicate the card is no
longer responding (drmCommandNone hangs on drmIoctl hangs on ioctl). At
this point, I'm not sure if I have bad hardware, something is wrong with
mesa for rv250, or something is wrong with drm. I unfortunately only
have one PowerPC machine with a radeon card, so I'd love to see if
anyone else has had any luck with similar configs (G4 tower with radeon
AGP card).

If anyone has a working radeon with DRM on powerpc, could you post
glxinfo | fgrep 'render' (if you can get mesa-demos to compile...it's a
chore). And/or results trying to run a 3d app like minetest, glxgears,
whatever uses DRI would be really helpful in ruling out both my hardware
and the drm code. I don't want to dig into the mesa mess unless I'm sure
that's where the problem lies.

By the way, WITH_NEW_XORG does work fine, so long as you already have an
xorg.conf. I think previous problems I had with it were the result of
module version mismatches or possibly XAA. I also learned a bit about
endian-ness and why we don't have a htole8 :).

Thanks!

ps: steps for working drm on powerpc with radeon (or anything else that
can do drm?):

1. Use CURRENT or "#define __BIG_ENDIAN 1" in /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/drmP.h
2. rebuild world+kernel or build just the drm module (cd
../../modules/drm && make clean && make && make install)
3. Remove anything disabling DRM/DRI from Xorg.conf (this would have
been a manual addition)
4. Start X
5. Verify drm.ko/radeon.ko are loaded with kldstat and check xorg logs
to see if it opened it ok and enabled acceleration.