Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 00:46:02 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Sean Reifschneider <jafo@tummy.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR Handshake timeout

On Jan 15, 17:38, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
} Subject: NCR Handshake timeout
} Wolfgang Stanglmeier suggested adding the following line to the kernel
} config file:
}
} options         "SCSI_NCR_NO_HTH_TIMEOUT"   #  Disable handshake timeout
}
} and applying the patch included below (I made this from the 2.1.0
} distribution ncr.c).  This sets the handshake timeout to unlimited
} insetad of 1.6 seconds.  Each nibble is "2 ** n * 50us" with 0
} representing infinate timeout.

Ok. I knew that 100us was the lowest value,
and had expected '0' to disable the timeouts,
but had not had time to verify this.

I already commited a patch to FreeBSD-current,
which unconditionally disables the handshake
time out. There has always been a software
timeout, and I'll see whether there are any
reports of problems after this change ...

} This did quite effectively remove the handshake timeout and allowed the
} scanner to pound right along.

Fine!

} Apparently, just removing the HTH from the interrupt mask causes confusion.
} The NCR chip generates an interrupt, and the driver just ignores it, so it
} gets flaky.

Yes. I did expect problems like this. The
interrupt mask register may prevent that
the interrupt pin get sactive, but the chip
sees the handshake timeout situation anyway.

That was the reason that I did not apply
that change to -current ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160