Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 05:41:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   flamage in comp.security.unix ..

As usual, the Linux vs. *BSD wars continue to rage :-(. This time, in
comp.security.unix; a (slightly trimmed) excerpt ..

From: ig25@fg70.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de (Thomas Koenig)
Subject: Re: Firewall platform of choice
Date: 22 Sep 1995 21:16:41 +0200

In comp.security.unix, peter@nmti.com (Peter da Silva) wrote:

>No, they didn't. Linux is rather unique among the UNIX and UNIX clone
>systems in that they did their own IP rather than taking advantage of the
>reference implementation in BSD.

>There were arguably good reasons at the time for doing so (the USL lawsuit
>against BSDI and the CSRG), but since then there have been two new releases
>of blessed code. Surely it's time to abandon NIH and import the good stuff.

Not necessarily.  BSD networking didn't get everything right, not by a long
shot; violating RFC 1123 by not passing back ICMP errors resulting from UDP
sockets is only one example.  Right now (1.2.13 for Linux, the latest
production release), Linux networking is working fairly well.

 == end quote ==

Does this inconsistency with the RFCs still exist in FreeBSD ?
Is it worth addressing (or any others known) ?

Perception is a delicate thing which, unfortunately, may only loosely
related to the truth. I'm assuming that this adherence (or otherwise) has
little (if any) impact on the security of a *BSD system but, not knowing
enough about the issues, this seemed like the best place to ask ..

	michael