Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:24:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net (Brooks Davis)
Cc:        blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles), brett@peloton.runet.edu (Brett Taylor), jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick), j_mckitrick@usa.net (Jonathon McKitrick), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux comments

> > 	last I checked, although Matt had fixed the NFS itself, we still
> > didn't have a functional lockd, so I'm not sure we should be casting
> > stones on this.
>
> We've got one in development though (see recent posts by David Cross) and
> the reset of the implementation is actually stable thanks to all of
> Matt's work.  There's obviously work left to do, but we certaintly don't
> have much to be ashamed of in this catagory.

It is my understanding that this is server locking code only, and
may still have some issues with the POSIX locking semantics.

The client locking code requires a reorganization of the VOP_ADVLOCK
code, if it is ever to work with layering.

Which reminds me that I need to send mail off to the IETF NFSv4
working group to include delayed coelescing in the next RFC draft,
or stacking layers will never work with more that one instance of
an NFS file system...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---