Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 18:33:21 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        proot@horton.iaces.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow printer behavior

> You might try setting your lpt port to polling instead of interrupt, and see
> if that does anything. Polling should be more efficient that interrupts
> anyway. I have a BJC-4100 on mine.

It's a sad commentary when polling is more efficient than interrupts. ;-(

I suggest investigating how the lp driver behaves with MAX_SPIN increased
from 20 to perhaps 100-2000. It might be nice if MAX_SPIN were called
MAX_SPIN_LP and protected with a #ifndef MAX_SPIN_LP so that it would
be easy to change from a kernel config file. Maybe :-)

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good