Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:22:48 -0300
From:      Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@gmail.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jack-session: a command tool I made to save/restore jack connections

On 9 August 2012 16:09, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 August 2012 20:17:42 Marcel Bonnet wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not have much knowledge about developing audio apps/tools and C
>> programming, that's why I would appreciate your considerations :
>>
>> I did not found on ports a command line tool that just handle
>> save/restore jack connections. Does we have some?
>>
>> I know about LASH, but it's beyond my scope. I don't need to handle
>> applications state, just the connections.
>>
>> I found a python script on the web (jackctl), but that script does not
>> satisfy my needs - it requires too much user interactivity.
>>
>> So I worked on over the lsp.c (jack_lsp) and got a simple tool to do
>> what I need.
>>
>> And last, but not least, do you guys think, if I polish the code (it's
>> ugly now), this small and simple tool could be made in my small
>> contribution to the ports collections? I'm not sure if a tool like
>> this exists but I did not found or if it would be simple enough to go
>> into ports - anyway, I'd love to do it because of the open source
>> spirit and would be happy to give something simple I made back to the
>> community.
>>
>> If you think it's ok, please let me know so I'll polish the code and
>> test it better.
>>
>> Here is an example:
>>
>> $ jack-session
>> Usage: jack-session [options]
>> Save and restore connections of a jack session.
>> Display options:
>>    -j, --jackserver <name>    Connect to the jack server named <name>
>>    -s, --save <file>          Save connections to the session <file>
>>    -r, --restore <file>               Restore connections from a session <file>
>>    -h, --help                 Display this help message
>>    -v  --version              Output version information and exit
>

> Hi,
>
> I think this is a good idea! Will this program run in the background and
> detect when applications become present?
>
> --HPS

Thanks.

In fact not. But it's a good idea too, I'd need time to explore it. I
think LASH does it in theory - but my problem is it seems to
complicated for the end user to learn how to operate LASH and I've got
some weird bugs with the GUI (at least running window maker).

All I want is something simple to use: if I'm making music, I need
something simple and fast so I can spend more time composing than
fighting with the computer. That's why I started just by producing a
command tool that is called manually by the user, but is easy to deal
with, specially if the user is not very well familiar with unix.

I'm going to update my home page, then I'll share the distfile and
port I've made, in case you want to test and give me feedback.
--
Marcel Bonnet