Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 15:34:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher T. Griffiths" <cgriffiths@quansoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Compaq Smart Array 3200 and FreeBSD 4.0

I am currently trying to upgrade my compaq 1850R with Smart Array 3200
raid controller from 3.4 to 4.0.

I have followed the directions in making a new kernel, creating devices in
/dev, etc.

I reboot the machine and it cannot mount / and I get the mountloader
prompt.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Here is my config:

# machine definitions
machine		i386
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		EXCALIBUR
maxusers	100

# kernel options
options         MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
options         DIAGNOSTIC
options         UCONSOLE
options         USERCONFIG
options         KTRACE                  #kernel tracing
options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN         #drop TCP packets with SYN+FIN
options         TCP_RESTRICT_RST        #restrict emission of TCP RST
options         ICMP_BANDLIM
options         MD5

# compatibility options
options		COMPAT_43
options		IBCS2

# sysv options
options         USER_LDT
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG

# network options
options		INET
options 	INET6

# filesystem options
options		FFS
options		FFS_ROOT
options         MFS
options		SOFTUPDATES
options         NFS
options         NFS_NOSERVER
options         PROCFS
options		CD9660
options		CD9660_ROOT
options		MSDOSFS

# Video Options
options         VESA

# posix options
options		P1003_1B
options		_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options		_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L

#System bus
device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci
options		AUTO_EOI_1

#keyboard and mouse
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

#Console
device          vga0    at isa?
device          sc0     at isa?

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support
device          apm0

# apm/psm options
options		PSM_HOOKRESUME
options		PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND

# ata/atapi controllers/devices
device		ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device		ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives

# atapi options
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		#Static device numbering
#options         ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA

#
# Standard floppy disk controllers and floppy
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

# Ethernet NICs.
device          tl
device          miibus

# Compaq Intelligent Disk Array Controller
#
device          ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
device          id

# pseudo devices
pseudo-device	gzip
pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device	pty	        16
pseudo-device	tun	        1
pseudo-device	bpf	        4
pseudo-device	splash
pseudo-device	md		# Memory "disks"
pseudo-device	gif	4	# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device	faith	1	# IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

Chris Griffiths

---
Christopher T. Griffiths
Engineering Department