Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:23:10 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Curiuos Problem with CAM and a 2940U2W with several devices

[ Ken, thanks for the reply. I did not CC: Justin know, because
  I don't want to flood his mailbox. Please feel free to copy
  it over to him if you think he might be interested (I think it
  IS really interesting).]

Today in the morning I have investigated this further, it is really
curious. I will sum up all what I have done to make it easier to
understand. I will just desribe what was attached to the 2940U2W
and what happend. The connectors are referred to as follows:

LVD-ext: external accessible LVD connector of the 2940U2W
LVD-int: the internal LVD connector
50p-int: the SE 50 pin connector
68p-int: the SE 68 pin connector

LVD-Trm and SE-Trm will show the settings of the two corresponding
entries in the 2940U2W BIOS.
If any cable was attached to any connector, it was terminated properly
with an appropriate, active terminator.

The 2940U2W was flashed with BIOS 2.57.2.

The word "Errors" means errors in the dmesg already during the
boot phase when booting with 'boot -s'. These errors are always
as being written in my previous mail.

Original situation:

  LVD-ext:  noting
  LVD-int:  2 x DNES-318350W LVD
  LVD-Trm:  enable

  50p-int:  ST31230N,  LPS525S, PIONEER CD-ROM DR-766
  68p-int:  nothing
  SE-Trm :  low/on high/on

  Result :  worked great

In order to replace the ST31230N with a bigger DDRS-34560W, I connected
the DDRS-34560W to the 68p-int connector to be able to copy the
data over:

  LVD-ext:  nothing
  LVD-int:  2 x DNES-318350W LVD
  LVD-Trm:  enable

  50p-int:  ST31230N,  LPS525S, PIONEER CD-ROM DR-766
  68p-int:  DDRS-34560W
  SE-Trm :  low/off high/on

  Result :  Errors

I started playing around with the stuff attached to the 50p-int connector:
removed the LPS525S, removed the CD-ROM, ... Nothing helped, same results.

I assumed it was the fault of the SEAGATE (it is old). In order to be
finally able to copy my stuff over, I remove the LVD drives and attached
the DDRS-34560W to the LVD-int connector:

  LVD-ext:  nothing
  LVD-int:  DDRS-34560W
  LVD-Trm:  enable

  50p-int:  ST31230N,  LPS525S, PIONEER CD-ROM DR-766
  68p-int:  nothing
  SE-Trm :  low/on high/on

  Result :  worked great (I copied the whole SEAGATE over)

Now, I thought I would be able to remove the SEAGATE and use the
DDRS-34560W. I also removed the LPS525S since it was only the swap
drive and this would be on the DDRS-34560W now:

  LVD-ext:  nothing
  LVD-int:  2 x DNES-318350W LVD
  LVD-Trm:  enable

  50p-int:  PIONEER CD-ROM DR-766
  68p-int:  DDRS-34560W
  SE-Trm :  low/off high/on

  Result :  Errors

I changed the 2940U2W which didn't help. I started playing around with
the cables which didn't help. I temporarly set the Adaptec Termination(s)
to Automatic which didn't help. I did some final tests:

  LVD-ext:  nothing
  LVD-int:  2 x DNES-318350W LVD
  LVD-Trm:  enable

  50p-int:  only a terminated cable
  68p-int:  DDRS-34560W
  SE-Trm :  low/off high/on

  Result :  Errors

Now the same swapped:

  LVD-ext:  nothing
  LVD-int:  2 x DNES-318350W LVD
  LVD-Trm:  enable

  50p-int:  ST31230N
  68p-int:  only a terminated cable
  SE-Trm :  low/off high/on

  Result :  Errors

But look here:

  LVD-ext:  nothing
  LVD-int:  2 x DNES-318350W LVD
  LVD-Trm:  enable

  50p-int:  nothing
  68p-int:  DDRS-34560W
  SE-Trm :  low/on high/on

  Result :  worked

As a result we can say:

As soon as both of the two SE connectors of the 2940U2W get a cable (with
or without devices, but always terminated properly) attached to it, we
get the errors.

I will try around more on my private machine (the one referenced above
is my gateway for 100 people :-() and post new results here.

Thanks for any help.

	-Andre

On Thu, 29-Jun-2000 at 12:53:05 -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 08:07:30 +0200, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> > I have a really curious SCSI problem here and I think it is not
> > CAM/FreeBSD related but I just want to be sure...
> >
> > This is an Adaptec 2940U2W controller.
> >
> > The external LVD connector is unused. The internal LVD connector
> > has 2 IBM DNES-318350W LVD drives and a LVD terminator at the end
> > of the cable. The LVD terminator of the 2940U2W is set to on.
> > So the LVD segement is terminated properly.
> >
> > The 50-pin (8bit) single ended connector has a SEAGATE ST31230N
> > drive and a PIONEER CD-ROM DR-766 1.00 cdrom drive attached to it.
> > On the end of this cable is an active 50-pin SE terminator.
> > The 68-pin (16bit) single ended connector has a IBM DDRS-34560W
> > connected to it. On the end of this cable is an active 68-pin SE
> > terminator. The SE terminator of the 2940U2W is set to LOW/Off
> > and HIGH/On.
> > So the SE segment is terminated properly.
> >
> > The cable lengths are below 1 meter. I have changed them. I have
> > replaced the external terminators. I have set the 2940U2Ws
> > terminators to automatic. I have lowered the transfer speeds for
> > the SE devices. I have removed the CDROM.
> >
> > I still get these SCSI Error messages.
> >
> > I might think this is due to the old SEAGATE drive in there but I
> > am not sure. When removing the DDRS-34560W and correcting the
> > termination accordingly, the system ran fine for a long time. Now I
> > just wanted to replace the SEAGATE drive with the bigger DDRS-34560W
> > but as soon as I connect it to copy the stuff over, the problems
> > start.
> >
> > Here is the dmesg with the relevant parts.
> >
> > Maybe someone (Ken ?!? :-)) can give me a hint about this.
>
> As far as I can tell, you've done all the normal things to isolate the
> problem.  It could be a problem with the Seagate drive, since that is the
> drive the Adaptec driver is complaining about but I don't know what that
> problem is.
>
> This is probably something that Justin will need to look at.
>
> Ken
> --
> Kenneth Merry
> ken@kdm.org

Your mouse has moved.
Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect!

Reboot now?  [OK]