Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:56:52 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson-lists@palomine.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jer@hughes.net
Subject:   Re: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

> Ever since I first installed Linux a year ago I have been going back and
> forth from bug to bug, problem to problem, in a never ending battle of
> trying to get my server to stay up any more than a week. I have been told
> everything from "your hardware is bad" to "wait for the next version" to
> "that's not supported" to "there are bugs in that code and someone needs to
> fix it". Frankly, I am SICK of hearing this again and again! If I had some
> piece of crap clone hardware, I could probably understand some of the issues
> I have been having, but this is name brand (what I thought to be) quality
> hardware! I have replaced almost every piece of hardware in that server
> under the assumption it was bad and it has not helped one bit.
>
> When I started out with my new Gateway server, it was just a plain Pentium
> II 266 w/ 128mb of RAM. After googles of crashes, I thought, well, maybe it
> just isn't enough server for the load. So, I proceeded to get a second PII
> processor and upgraded to 512mb of RAM. More crashes, different errors, the
> story of my life with Linux. I have tried the latest release and development
> kernels, just about every patch I can find, and nothing works with it. It is
> the most unstable computer I have ever used in my entrie life... and I run
> an NT box as well (pretty sad the NT box stays up for months on end and I
> can't even keep the linux box running a week).

Your hardware probably *is* bad. I have no doubt that FreeBSD is a more solid
OS than Linux, but Linux is still a very stable OS, certainly much more so than
NT. If constant crashes are the "story of [your] life with Linux" and if your
Linux box is the "most unstable computer [you] have ever used in [your] entire
life," then I suspect that you'll have similar problems with FreeBSD, since you
either have lousy hardware or don't know what you're doing.

Chris Johnson